What was THE moment?
This question was asked to me on a recent podcast interview.
I’m normally able to process questions quickly and deliver an answer, but this particular question made me pause (not great to do on a podcast LOL).
The context of the question was about the moment where I knew that I had to do things differently. The moment that I knew that I wanted to help other people avoid the same pitfalls that I experienced.
Several moments stood out.
Being told I had orthorexia was one.
Leaving dinner and ordering pizza and dessert on the way home was another.
The various times where I skipped out on life events because they didn’t fit my plan … all ran through my mind.
The relationships that suffered as a result of my obsession? Yup, I considered those too.
However, if I’m being honest, those weren’t the moments of true change.
I know it’s hard to believe, but those situations weren’t enough to make me think differently.
Those situations made me think that I was to blame. I mean, I was the common denominator.
Yes, those events made me switch programs. But, trying a different version of the same thing is not the same as truly changing.
What was my TRUE defining moment?
The moment of true change, the moment of liberation, the moment where the doors of possibility and hope swung wide open …
Happened in one conversation.
The exact words I needed to hear: “there’s actually nothing wrong with you …”
He continued … “everything you’ve experienced makes perfect sense based on your personality type.”
What?? I’ve literally tried every fad diet and every training program you can imagine and I’m still far from where I want to be.
“That’s typical for your personality type. You need variation, you enjoy novelty, you go all-in on new things and then when you master it, you get bored and jump to the next thing.”
It was a 2 hour conversation that was like a mirror into my soul.
Not only did it make perfect sense, but I felt almost sheepish for not having that perspective earlier.
Intuitively, as a coach, I never trained my clients in the same way. It’s obvious that everyone is different and I’m really good at reading people.
So, why wasn’t I able to see the writing on the wall?
I still haven’t quite been able to answer that question as I reflect back.
I’m going to chalk it up to the fact that it’s hard to see the picture when you’re inside the frame.
What it takes to think differently
From that single conversation, I never thought about training and nutrition the same way. Quite frankly, it went way beyond fitness.
My path to improving SELF started after that conversation as well. I went on a personal development mission.
It showed me that the vehicle of fitness and nutrition is just that … a vehicle.
The gift is in greater self awareness. It’s in improved quality of life and it’s in becoming more resilient. Lastly, the gift is in growth, evolution, and mental fortitude.
Those were the gifts I began to deliver … through the vehicle of fitness and nutrition with a focus and education around your personality.
Slowly but surely, I saw the same light bulb moments in those I coached.
And, I’ve been on a mission to disrupt the diet industry ever since.
The templates, the cookie-cutter programs, the one-size-fits-all methods … they don’t belong.
I don’t care if 1% of people are successful with them … the damage that they cause to the other 99% is not worth it.
I’m not even sure where I’m going with this … I just started writing and so here we are.
Hopefully, this helps paint the picture of my why … of the moment that TRULY created this movement.
And, I’m just beyond grateful that you’re a part of it.
Thank you for thinking differently.